Start your application

Welcome to the admission procedure for your course at the Royal Conservatoire.

Every step of the registration procedure is described and explained below and all you have to do is complete each step in the process. Clicking on the + will reveal additional information. When you click on Studielink you will leave our website. After applying you will receive an e-mail from Studielink with a link to Osiris Online Application, which is part of our Student Administration System. You will upload all the requested documents to that page. If you have any questions during the process, please contact the student administration office at

Don't forget to check the general admission requirements, these are applicable to all admissions. For more information regarding your programme please click here. All information regarding the entrance exams will be published on

The deadline for uploading documents via Osiris Apply is before March 1st.

Master Sonology Change
Applications for this programme are closed.

Studielink is the online registration system for higher education in the Netherlands. When you register, you will also automatically be registered with DUO (Dienst Uitvoerend Onderwijs), the agency that arranges student financing, among other things.

  • If you are a Dutch student, log on with your DigiD. If you do not yet have one, it can be requested at It could be several days before you receive the log-in codes.
  • If you are an international student, log on with a user name and password that you will be able to create for yourself in Studielink.
  • Apply for the course of your choice (the first step in your ‘to do’ list) under Royal Academy of Art/Royal Conservatoire The Hague. Complete each step in the screen. Detailed instructions and help with the process is available on the website of Studielink.

To Studielink

Note: you will now leave the website of the Royal Conservatoire. You are not done with the admission process after registering with Studielink. Please read the further instructions below first.

Start by collecting all the documents you will need for your application.

  1. portfolio (see below)
  2. CV

Students for the Master of Music in Sonology are selected on the basis of a portfolio with previous compositions, sound installations, recordings of live performances or research results in the form of computer programs, articles, theses, etc. The studies will be conducted in English and applicants are expected to be adequately fluent with the language. The candidate should have a bachelor’s diploma relevant for the professional field of Sonology (composition of electronic and/or acoustic music using fixed media, notation, improvisation or some combination of these, sound synthesis research, sound art, related subjects such as artificial intelligence, computer science or electronic engineering, musicology, music perception, film studies, or as a performing musician). In addition the candidate should submit a two-page study plan, which includes the following elements:

  1. A short description of the proposed project to be realised during the master’s studies. This project can have a practical and a theoretical part, or can be exclusively theoretical.
  2. A time planning, divided in 4 semesters, which also includes possible participation in subjects of the Sonology One-Year Course. This time planning should not refer to the subjects in the mandatory curriculum but to the realisation of the proposed project.
  3. A detailed description of the proposed project. This description should present the central research question, the context in which the research takes place and the form in which the research results will be presented, such as compositions, computer programs and articles.
  4. An overview of the subjects to be discussed in the thesis for the final examination.

There is no live admission exam. All lessons are conducted in the English language.

Because the Master’s course in Sonology is a research Master, it is not necessary to submit a separate Master study plan.

Based on the information you've sent, documents and photo/video material that you've uploaded, we'll decide if you are admitted. You will be notified by the Student Administration of this decision on 1 April at the latest.

If you are admitted, you must ensure that all the necessary documents are submitted.
Non-EU/EEA students have to submit the proof of their English language proficiency (see step English proficiency) before 1 September.

If you are admitted you will receive information via e-mail and Studielink about payment of tuition fees.

Only when you have fulfilled all registration requirements will you be enrolled as a student. So make sure that you have submitted all requested documents before 1 September.

More information on the fees and payment.

Language proficiency
Bachelor and Master students must have sufficient command of both written and spoken English to follow their course at the Royal Conservatoire.

EU/EEA students

Students from EU/EEA countries whose proficiency in English is inadequate are obliged to follow a language course. If it is found during the admission procedure that your command of English is insufficient, you will be required to follow a course and obtain a certificate of proficiency during the first year of the course.

Non-EU/EEA students

If you have been admitted and you are from a country outside the EU (with exception of Canada, Australia, New-Zealand, United States of America or South Africa), you must demonstrate – before 1 September - that your level of English is sufficient to follow the course. You can demonstrate your command of English with your score on any of the following English language proficiency tests: IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC or Cambridge English (FCE/CAE/CPE). The test scores are valid for two years and your score must be valid as of 1 September.

The minimum standard is a score of 6.0 in the IELTS test or level 80 in the TOEFL.

Certificates from the Institutional TOEFL test, the TOEFL ITP test or other language proficiency tests will not be accepted.

More information about language proficiency, courses and the tests.

Non-EU/EEA students who are admitted to the programme they applied for need an entry visa and/or residence permit. You also need to make other practical arrangements before you come to the Netherlands and when you arrive here. Please check the website for international students coming to the Netherlands for all procedures, information and contact info.