Upon Arrival in the Netherlands

Upon arrival, there are a few more steps you need to take before you get completely settled and start studying. Below you find all the information you need.

In principle, within five days upon their arrival in the Netherlands, all students planning to stay longer than 4 months in the Netherlands must register in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen/BRP) of the city in which they will be living. As a result of their municipal registration, students will receive a Citizen Citizen Number (Burgerservicenummer/BSN).

Please note that non-EU/EEA students can only register with the municipality after the Royal Conservatoire has applied to the IND for their VVR! For more details, please see ‘Dutch study residence permit: application procedure’.

For municipal registration purpose, newly arrived international citizens in The Hague should contact the Centrum district office The Hague (stadsdeelkantoor Centrum), as located in the City Hall (Stadhuis). Visit their website for all information about moving to The Hague from abroad and all information about the registration procedures for international students.

For their first registration, students should request for an appointment online or by telephone. The appointment will probably be scheduled within 4-6 weeks.

On the day of their appointment, students are required to bring the following documents:

· A valid passport (or national identity card of an EU/EEA country)

· An original birth certificate (plus official translation, preferably to Dutch). In many cases it must be legalised, in some cases verified as well (please see ‘Legalisation and verification of documents ’, below). Please note though that international students who intend to study and live in the Netherlands for a limited period of time are usually exempted from presenting an original birth certificate.

· Some proof of where the student lives: for instance, a sale or tenancy contract, or a written statement from the main resident confirming that they allow the student to live there. In this case, photocopy of a passport or identity card of that resident is also required as a check on the signature.

· For non-EU/EEA students: valid Dutch residence permit (VVR), or (photocopy of an) IND letter, confirming that the application for a Dutch residence permit is in process.

Contact details of the Centrum district office The Hague:

City Hall (Stadhuis)

Centrum district office (stadsdeelkantoor Centrum)

Public Service (Publiekszaken)

Spui 70


Telephone: 14070


List of all the city district offices in The Hague

Please note that on condition that they have prepared the required documentation in due time, new international students who will be living in The Hague can participate in a special international student registration day in the City Hall The Hague on Saturday 12 September 2020 from 11:00-11:30 hrs!
New international students will receive an invitation from the Royal Conservatoire with more details in due time.
More information on the website of the city The Hague: Student registration day

Please note: international visitors who will only stay in the Netherlands for a period up to four months (for instance, for temporary study or employment) can also register with the municipality as a non-resident (niet-ingezetene) in the Register Niet-Ingezetenen (RNI) and receive a BSN.

As soon as students move to another address in the Netherlands, they must report their new address to one of the city district offices within 5 days after moving.

As soon as students will stay outside the Netherlands for a longer period (longer than 8 months in one year), for example, upon completion of their studies, they must report this fact to one of the city district offices within 5 days before their departure.

For more information on municipal registration, please visit the Study in Holland website.

Are you not a citizen of the Netherlands but a citizen of another EU/EEA country or Switzerland and will you be living in The Hague for longer than 4 months? If you would like to register at an address in The Hague, then you have to register at the Centrum city office. You will then be registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen/BRP).

For more information check the municipality's website or contact the International Students Adviser international@koncon.nl

Addresses of banks nearby the Royal Conservatoire:

As a general rule, all banks in the Netherlands are required to register the BSN of their customers. However, as a result of a special agreement between the Dutch Ministry of Finance (tax office) and the Dutch Bank Association, all banks should make an exception to the BSN requirement for newly arrived international students, on the condition that international students can present some proof of their registration as a student in the Netherlands.

Special student accounts are usually also available to international students in the Netherlands.

ABN AMRO: Koningskade 30, 2596 AA Den Haag

ING: Spui 59, 2511 BL Den Haag

Rabobank: Bezuidenhoutseweg 5, 2594 AB Den Haag