Upon Arrival in the Netherlands

Upon arrival, there are a few more steps you need to take before you get completely settled and start studying. Below you find all the information you need.

For more information, please visit the Study in Holland website: Study in Holland: To do after arrival.

In principle, within five days upon their arrival in the Netherlands, all students planning to stay longer than 4 months in the Netherlands must register in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen/BRP) of the city in which they will be living. As a result of their registration with the municipality, students will receive a Citizen Service Number (burgerservicenummer/BSN).

Please note that non-EU/EEA students can only register with the municipality after the Royal Conservatoire has applied to the IND for their Dutch study residence permit (VVR)! For more details, please see ‘Dutch study residence permit: application procedure’.

For municipal registration purpose, newly arrived international citizens in The Hague should contact the Centrum district office The Hague (stadsdeelkantoor Centrum), as located in the City Hall (Stadhuis). Visit the website of the city The Hague for all information about moving to The Hague from abroad.

For their first registration, students should request for an appointment online or by telephone. The appointment will probably be scheduled within 4-6 weeks.

On the day of their appointment, students are required to bring the following documents:

· A valid passport (or national identity card of an EU/EEA country).

· An original birth certificate (plus official translation, preferably to Dutch). In many cases, it must be legalised. Please note though that international students who intend to study and live in the Netherlands for a limited period of time are usually exempted from presenting an original birth certificate, so this document is not required on the yearly Student Registration Day for new international students in The Hague (more information below).

· Some proof of where the student lives: for instance, a sale or tenancy contract, or a written statement from the main resident confirming that they allow the student to live there. In this case, a photocopy of a valid passport or national identity card of that resident is also required as a check on the signature.

· For non-EU/EEA students: valid Dutch residence permit (VVR), or (photocopy of an) IND letter, confirming that the application for a Dutch residence permit is in process.

Contact details of the Centrum district office The Hague:

City Hall (Stadhuis)
Centrum district office (stadsdeelkantoor Centrum)
Public Service (Publiekszaken)
Spui 70
Telephone: 14070

For a list of all the city district offices in The Hague: City district offices The Hague

Please note that on condition that they have prepared the required documentation in due time, new international students who will be living in The Hague are strongly advised not to schedule an individual appointment for registration with the municipality, but to participate in a special Student Registration Day in the City Hall The Hague, to be taking on Saturday 10 September 2022 at 13:30 hrs!
New international students will receive an invitation from the Royal Conservatoire with more details in due time.
More information on the website of the city The Hague: Registration procedures for international students

Please note: international visitors who will only stay in the Netherlands for a period up to four months (for instance, for temporary study or employment) can also register with the municipality as a non-resident (niet-ingezetene) in the Register Niet-Ingezetenen (RNI) and receive a BSN.

As soon as students move to another address in the Netherlands, they must report their new address to one of the city district offices within 5 days after moving.

As soon as students will stay outside the Netherlands for a longer period (longer than 8 months in one year), for example, upon completion of their studies, they must report this fact to one of the city district offices within 5 days before their departure.

The Citizen Service Number (burgerservicenummer/BSN) is a unique personal number allocated to everyone registered in the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen/BRP). Everyone who registers with the BRP is automatically given a BSN.
Students usually need a BSN to open a student bank account, take out health insurance, get a job or internship position in the Netherlands, etc.

For more information on the BSN, visit the website of the Dutch government: Citizen Service Number (BSN)

After students receive their BSN, they can apply for a DigiD. This digital ID allows students to take care of government-related issues online. Students can use DigiD to log in to government websites like DUO (Student Finance), Belastingdienst (Tax and Customs Administration) or municipality services.

For more information on DigiD, visit the following website of the Dutch government: DigiD | Home English

As a general rule, all banks in the Netherlands are required to register the BSN of their customers. However, some banks might make an exception to the BSN requirement for newly arrived international students, on the condition that international students can present some proof of their registration as a student in the Netherlands.

Special student accounts are usually also available to international students in the Netherlands.

Addresses of some banks nearby the Royal Conservatoire:

ABN AMRO: Koningskade 30, 2596 AA Den Haag

ASN Bank: Bezuidenhoutseweg 153, 2594 AG Den Haag (Dutch website only)

ING: Spui 59, 2511 BL Den Haag

Rabobank: Bezuidenhoutseweg 5, 2594 AB Den Haag (Dutch website only)