Working in the Netherlands as an international student

The need for students to find employment during their studies is something we are aware of at the Royal Conservatoire. While we are aware of the need for this kind of financial self-support, students must take responsibility and be aware of the attendance requirements for their study programme, and in ensuring their availability when allocated a place in departmental projects.

EU/EEA nationals are allowed to work without restrictions while they are studying in the Netherlands.

For non-EU/EEA nationals, if their Dutch residence permit is issued for study purpose, they may work for brief periods, in order to acquire additional financial means. This means that they may not work more than 16 hours per week, or that they may do only full-time seasonal work (in June, July and August); a combination of both options is not allowed! Further, the student's employer will need to get an employment permit (Tewerkstellingsvergunning/TWV) in advance.

Non-EU/EEA students with a valid residence permit for study purpose may work alongside their studies as a self-employed person and in that case, the restrictions as mentioned above do not apply.

If students are going to work in the Netherlands, they will need a personal registration number for government registration purposes: the Citizen Service Number (burgerservicenummer/BSN). The BSN is issued by the Municipal Registry Office of the city where students are registered. For more details, go to 'Upon Arrival in the Netherlands', 'BSN & DigiD'.

Please note that from the moment international students in the Netherlands start working alongside their studies (even for just one hour a week), they will have to take out a Dutch basic healthcare insurance policy! For more details, please read ‘Healthcare and Insurance’.

Employment agencies

Finding a part-time job in the Netherlands can be done in a number of ways, but a good place to start is to register with one or more employment agencies (uitzendbureaus). When applying, students are advised to make sure they have a short CV prepared with relevant experience for the work they are seeking.

List of employment agencies in The Hague

On the above website the list of vacancies is mostly in Dutch. From the initial menu, students should click first on ‘Bekijk XXX vacatures in Den Haag’, and then register for a free account (inschrijven). To gain an impression of what is available, students can filter their search to location and distance (locatie en afstand), hours per week (uren per week), profession (beroepsgroep), etc.

Career Development Office (CDO)

The Career Development Office (CDO) in the Royal Conservatoire offers information and advice on student employment in the Netherlands, becoming registered as a freelancer, the Dutch tax system and related practical matters.
There are also pages of resources and links on the KC Portal (available only to KC students and staff): KC Portal: Career Development Office (CDO)

More information on working alongside your studies in the Netherlands:

Study in NL: Working while studying

Study in The Hague: Working

The Hague International Centre: Work during your studies